Re: tty: add 'active' sysfs attribute to tty0 and console device

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Nov 19 2010 - 13:09:28 EST

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 03:47:05PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Currently the bootlogd(8) or blogd(8) parse the kernels command line
> > and if available do an ioctl TIOCGDEV (not supported by the upstream
> > kernel), then create a pty/tty pair, do an ioctl TIOCCONS to forward
>
> So perhaps the vendors using TIOCGDEV could get off their collective
> backsides and submit it upstream ?

Heh, that's what started this whole thing :)

I objected to TIOCGDEV going in as it seemed that only suse needed it
for their boot sequence, and no other distro did which implied that it
really wasn't necessary.

I'm still not convinced it is needed, and the many thousands of booting
systems out there without it seem to confirm it...

thanks,

greg k-h