Re: How do I choose an arbitrary minor number for my tty device?

From: Timur Tabi
Date: Thu Nov 18 2010 - 10:31:33 EST

Greg KH wrote:

> You need to create one as you really have a "bus" here, as you
> described.

What about the fact that it's an Open Firmware driver? My driver gets probed
for each byte channel node in the device tree.

I'm still not sure why you think I have a bus. I don't see where the UART
drivers register a bus, and there's not a whole lot different between a byte
channel and a UART.

> Please take a step back and go to your original message where you
> described something like "we have a bus and devices we discover on the
> bus and they have ids".

I never said we have a bus. There is no entity that conglomerates the byte
channels.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale