Re: perf tools miscellaneous questions

From: Francis Moreau
Date: Thu Nov 04 2010 - 04:34:55 EST

Reid Kleckner <reid.kleckner@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> What's exactly the 'cache-misses' event ? does it include both instructions
>>> _and_ data cache misses ? both L1 and L2 caches ?
>>>

>>> I was expecting so but the following command makes me wondering:
>>>
>>>   $ perf stat -e cache-misses:u,l1d-loads-misses:u true
>>>     Performance counter stats for 'true':
>>>
>>>                 763  cache-misses
>>>                 874  L1-dcache-load-misses
>>>
>>>         0.000916609  seconds time elapsed
>>>
>>> Here cache-misses < L1-dcache-load-misses.
>>

>> Dunno, will let others answer.
>
> I think it corresponds to last level cache misses, which makes sense
> here. The difference in the two numbers represents hits to L2 (and L3
> if it exists).

How could I know the number of cache level on my cpu ?

I tried:

$ perf stat -e cache-misses:u,l1d-loads-misses:u true

Performance counter stats for 'true':

802 cache-misses
937 L1-dcache-load-misses

0.000996578 seconds time elapsed

$ perf stat -e cache-misses:u,L2-loads-misses:u true

Performance counter stats for 'true':

788 cache-misses
95 LLC-load-misses

0.001025423 seconds time elapsed

So it looks like you're right: in my case I have this cache
configuration:

--
Francis