Re: overlayfs: BUG in ovl_whiteout

From: Andy Whitcroft
Date: Mon Oct 04 2010 - 13:33:51 EST

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 11:23:16AM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> > I have been playing with overlayfs for a bit now and there seems to
> > be something a little dodgy when unmounting and remounting an overlay.
> > I modified some files in the overlay, immediatly unmounted the overlay and
> > again immediatly remounted it. On touching the same files in the overlay
> > I triggered the following BUG (dmesg fragment at the bottom of this email).
> > When trying to reproduce this I also triggered a hard hang.
>
> Thanks for the bug report, Andy.
>
> Please change that BUG_ON to a WARN_ON. This will make this a
> harmless error message in the log instead of a hang.

Applied your patch to move these to WARN_ON. Now I get a WARN_ON after
the remount. Now that we don't explode I get the following error from
the triggering command. I assume that this is the rename which has
triggered the issue:

W: Failed to fetch http://192.168.0.60:3142/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/Release rename failed, File exists (/var/lib/apt/lists/192.168.0.60:3142_archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_Release -> /var/lib/apt/lists/192.168.0.60:3142_archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_Release).

I note that the file does indeed exist as a real file in both layers. I
have not as yet managed to generate a naive test that also triggers
this.

-apw