Re: PROBLEM: Unusually high load average when idle in 2.6.35, 2.6.35.1 and later

From: tmhikaru
Date: Sun Oct 03 2010 - 13:10:25 EST

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 12:21:43PM +0200, Florian Mickler wrote:
> Don't apologize, it's heroic. Do you still see the performance
> regression you reported in your original bug report? I don't exactly
> know if you are at the moment just talking about the bisected commit or
> if the performance regression you saw earlier was just some cosmic ray
> kind of thing...
>
> If the load-average thing was just a red herring, it would probably
> still be worthwile to bisect the performance regression.

No, I do not see the performance regression anymore, which is why I did all
that extra testing with the timed compiles - it proves that somewhere along
the line I made a mistake, and tricked myself into believing the load
average glitch *also* was causing performance issues. I was wrong.

Given I only started digging into the problem as far as I did because I
thought it was slowing things down, it's annoying. However, at least I did
find a real problem.

Tim McGrath