Re: [patch 46/47] powerpc: Use new irq allocator

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Sun Oct 03 2010 - 12:54:20 EST

Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> That would make things much cleaner and in fact move one large step
>> toward being able to make powerpc virq scheme generic, which seems to be
>> a good idea from what I've heard :-)
>
> Yep.

I'm not certain about making the ppc virq scheme generic. Maybe it is
just my distorted impression but I have the understanding that ppc irq
numbers mean nothing and are totally unstable whereas on x86 irq numbers
in general are stable (across kernel upgrades and changes in device
probe order) and the irq number has a useful hardware meaning. Which
means you don't have to go through several layers of translation tables
to figure out which hardware pin you are talking about.

Eric