Re: [Patch, RFC] Make struct fb_info ref-counted with kref

From: Bruno PrÃmont
Date: Wed Sep 22 2010 - 15:36:56 EST

On Wed, 22 September 2010 James Simmons <jsimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I have a tree at
> > >
> > > http://git.infradead.org/users/jsimmons/linuxconsole-2.6.git
> > >
> > > but currently fbcon is broken so I'm tracing down the problem.
> >
> > Thanks for the reference to your tree!
> >
> > What's you opinion regarding my changes to fbcon in my RFC patch?
> > Are they ok or would you prefer having fbcon changed to stop peeking
> > at registered_fb list and just operate directly on fb_info everywhere
> > it needs it? (that is let con2fb_map[] point to fb_info instead of
> > indexes into registered_fb? (I have a preference for the second one
> > and will try it out)
>
> I'm aiming to kill off registered_fb. I agree that fb_info should be used
> directly and we can avoid the ref-count. As for con2fb_map that is a
> little more complex.

Refcounting can't be fully avoided on fb side but certainly can be on
(most of) fbcon side (except around fbcon's calls to fbops.fb_open and
fbops.fb_release).

Will attempt the fbcon change as a separate patch my ref-counted fb_info
patch will depend on. (will probably happen during week-end)

Thanks,
Bruno