Re: New compat_alloc_user_space() GPLness and fglrx

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Mon Sep 20 2010 - 07:19:46 EST

On Saturday 18 September 2010, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Well, that means ATI needs to mess with the insides of their binary
> blob... Anyone knows of a channel to talk to them? Someone must tell
> them about this, I am just an unwilling user of fglrx (R600 support in
> the open drivers is nowhere near what I need yet).
>
> Meanwhile, what is the solution? Keep using (the newly named)
> arch_compat_alloc_user_space()?

Since you don't know how that is used in the driver, that could
very well keep the security hole open as long as the driver is loaded.

You still have the obvious options that you won't like:

1. stay on an older (broken) kernel
2. don't use fglrx until this is fixed
3. copy the new compat_alloc_user_space as an inline function
into the wrapper module (possibly making it undistributable)

Arnd