Re: changing the default cpufreq governor freezes laptop on suspend

From: Lukas Grässlin
Date: Sun Sep 19 2010 - 16:24:11 EST

Are there any news? I have exactly the same problem with stable 2.6.35.

It's not so a dramatic bug because the workaround (settings that
temporarily govenor in the pm-utils script to something that does not
exist, which means it is skipped) is ok and has actually no byeffects,
but it would still be nice to have that fixed :)

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:15:14AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> (please Cc)
>
> some time ago I switched from 2.6.35-rc1 to -rc2 and about the same time
> I regularly got problems with suspend to ram. I first thought that this
> is a graphics card issue
> (see http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=127582534931581&w=2)
> but it turned out that using echo mem > /sys/power/state works very
> reliable.
>
> I finally got around to check the scripts of pm-utils managing the
> suspend process here on Debian/sid, and I found that one of the
> scripts, before going to sleep, changes the default cpufreq governor
> to performance, doing in principle:
> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuN/cpufreq/scaling_governor > savedstate
> echo "performance" > /sys/.....
> Interestingly, as soon as I disabled these two line the suspend process
> became again as stable as before using pm-utils, and as stable as the
> echo mem method.
>
> My laptop is intel core2:
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P9500 @ 2.53GHz
> running Debian/sid, on self compiled git kernels pulled from Linus' repo.
>
> Please let me know what further information I can provide, or how to help
>
> Best wishes
>
> Norbert
> Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
> JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
> DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094

Lukas Grässlin
GnuPG-Key: http://lg.ath.cx/lukasgraesslin@xxxxxxxxxx