Re: [KVM timekeeping 10/35] Fix deep C-state TSC desynchronization

From: Zachary Amsden
Date: Fri Sep 17 2010 - 18:31:32 EST

On 09/17/2010 12:09 PM, Zachary Amsden wrote:
On 09/15/2010 08:27 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Am 15.09.2010 14:32, Glauber Costa wrote:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:09:33AM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
In any case, I'll proceed with the forcing of unstable TSC and HPET
clocksource and see what happens.
I tried that before, but it did not trigger the issue that kvm-clock
guests no longer boot properly. This only happens if the TSC is marked
unstable.
even artificially marked unstable ?

Yes. As soon as I hack tsc_unstable to 1, things go wrong. When I hack
it back to 0, guest that wants kvm-clock boots again and seem to run fine.

This is issue #2, I guess. Issue #2 remains that the TSC is marked
unstable. I have the feeling that this is bogus, maybe due to lacking
suspend/resume awareness? The tsc clocksource does

clocksource_tsc.cycle_last = 0;

on resume...

Jan

I have now reproduced this exactly. Shouldn't be long before I have a solution.

Actually, here is what I am seeing: the guest proceeds - in SUPER SLOW MO... the effect of this patch negates time when the guest is not running. If the guest is not running because it is idle, negating time is the wrong thing to do. Left to sit, the boot process still proceeds, but it goes so slow, you can grow a beard in that time.

Instead, we need wallclock awareness to be preserved. Should be easy to work in one of my later patches which does this.

Zach