Re: Default zone_reclaim_mode = 1 on NUMA kernel is bad forfile/email/web servers

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Fri Sep 17 2010 - 10:22:09 EST

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> > From the first look that seems to be the problem. You do not need to be
> > bound to a particular cpu, the scheduler will just leave a single process
> > on the same cpu by default. If you then allocate all memory only from this
> > process then you get the scenario that you described.
>
> Huh? Which bit of forking server makes you think one process is allocating
> lots of memory? They're opening and reading from files. Unless you're
> calling the kernel a "single process".

I have no idea what your app does. The data that I glanced over looks as
if most allocations happen for a particular memory node and since the
memory is optimized to be local to that node other memory is not used
intensively. This can occur because of allocations through one process /
thread that is always running on the same cpu and therefore always
allocates from the memory node local to that cpu.

It can also happen f.e. if a driver always allocates memory local to the
I/O bus that it is using.