Re: perf scripting

From: Masami Hiramatsu
Date: Fri Sep 17 2010 - 06:32:53 EST

(2010/09/16 21:08), Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> (Sorry to answer that so late)
>

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 04:04:15PM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 04:04:42PM +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
>>> I have the feeling you've made an ad-hoc post processing script that seems
>>> to rewrite all the format parsing, debugfs, stream handling, etc... we
>>> have that in perf tools already.
>>>
>>> May be you weren't aware of what we have in perf in terms of scripting support.
>>
>> Frederic, any chance you could help me getting a bit more familar with
>> the perf perl scripting. I currently have a hacky little sequence that
>> I use to profile what callers generate XFS log traffic, and it like to
>> turn it into a script so that I can do a direct perf call to use it
>> to profile things without manual work, and generate nicer output.
>>
>> Currently it looks like this:
>>
>> perf probe --add xlog_sync
>>
>> perf record -g -e probe:xlog_sync -a -- <insert actualy workload here>
>>
>> then do
>>
>> perf report -n -g flat
>>
>> to get me the callchain in a readable format.
>>
>> Now what I'd really like is a perl script that can read a file like
>> latencytop.trans (or just has the information embedded) which contains
>> functions in the backtrace that we're interested in.
>>
>> E.g. one simple from the report command above may look like:
>>
>> xlog_sync
>> xlog_write
>> xlog_cil_push
>> _xfs_log_force
>> xfs_log_force
>> xfs_sync_data
>> xfs_quiesce_data
>> xfs_fs_sync_fs
>>
>> In which case I'm interested in xfs_log_force and xfs_fs_sync_fs. So
>> the output of the perl script should looks something like:
>>

>> Samples Caller
>> 2 xfs_fs_sync_fs
>> 1 xfs_file_fsync
>> 1 xfs_commit_dummy_trans

BTW, if you want the caller for each call, you can do with perf probe

# perf probe --add 'xlog_sync caller=+0($stack)'

then, you can see the caller address in caller argument of
xlog_sync event record.

> Somehow, that's a kind of overview you can get with
> perf report, using the default fractal mode or the graph mode.
> Callers are sorted by hits in these modes (actually in raw mode too).
>
> But it could be interesting to add the callchains as arguments to the
> perl/python scripting handlers for precise usecases.
>

>> Or if I have a way to parse the argument of the probe (in the worst case
>> I can replace it with a trace event if that makes it easier):
>>
>> Samples Flags Callers
>> 1 sync xfs_fs_sync_fs
>> 1 xfs_fs_sync_fs
>> 1 sync xfs_file_fsync
>> 1 sync xfs_commit_dummy_trans
>

> So for example that becomes an even more precise usecase.
> Currently the perf scripting engine doesn't give you access
> to the callchains of a trace sample. That would be a nice feature
> and would solve your problem.

AFAIK, perf perl script already supports getting arguments of
events. e.g.

sub probe::xlog_sync
{
my ($event_name, $context, $common_cpu, $common_secs, $common_nsecs,
$common_pid, $common_comm,
$caller) = @_;

if (!defined($caller_list{$caller})) {
$caller_list{$caller} = 0;
}
$caller_list{$caller}++;
}

for count up caller address.
(However, perf perl currently doesn't have address-symbol translation
function. )

If perf scripting supports calling perf internally for defining
new events for the script, it will be useful (from the viewpoint
of script packaging).

Thank you,