Re: help with git bisecting a bug 16376: random - possibly Radeon DRM KMS related - freezes

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 09:25:27 EST

Am Sonntag 05 September 2010 schrieb Paolo Ornati:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 09:53:41 +0200
>
> Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am also seeking help with selecting more suitable commits to test:
> > If its a Radeon KMS related freeze and everything points at it, I
> > think the offending commit is in the first quarter of what git
> > commit shows to me[2]. Thus I'd like to select one commit before
> > those drm/kms related commits and one after it, before testing any
> > other commits.
>
> If you "know better" than git-bisect and want to test a particular
> commit, just do:
>
> git reset --hard commit_id

That part I understood from the manpage. But I seeked help to choose
exactly which commit.

Well I now go with

martin@shambhala:~/Computer/Shambhala/Kernel/2.6.33-2.6.34-
bisect/linux-2.6> git log | head
commit a27341cd5fcb7cf2d2d4726e9f324009f7162c00
Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue Mar 2 08:36:46 2010 -0800

Prioritize synchronous signals over 'normal' signals

This makes sure that we pick the synchronous signals caused by a
processor fault over any pending regular asynchronous signals sent to
use by [t]kill().

When I interpret the graphical display of gitk correctly this one should
be directly before the whole lot of KMS/DRM/Radeon/Intel commits being
merged.

Now hopefully this one boots. And is good. Then I would have skipped a
whole lot of the revisions to test. But even when it just boots, but is
bad, I at least know that its not in these merges.

Ciao,