Re: Overview of concurrency managed workqueue

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Fri Jun 18 2010 - 04:23:57 EST

On 06/18/2010 10:03 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Converting to kthread is usually okay to do but getting the
> kthread_stop() and memory barriers right can be pain in the ass, so
> having a easier wrapper there would be pretty helpful.

Thinking more about it the interface could be pretty similar to wq.
The only qualm I have w/ wq is that it requires allowing works to be
freed once execution starts, which is sometimes convenient but a major
pain to implement correctly w/ flushing, requeueing and all. Such
complexities end up visible to the users too through quirkiness in
flush semantics. But, other than that, wrapping kthread in a prettier
outfit for cases which require a dedicated thread and don't wanna
bother with kthread directly should only take few hundred lines of
code.

Thanks.

--
tejun