Re: CONFIG_PROVE_RCU breaks proprietary modules (rcu_lock_map)

From: Kyle McMartin
Date: Thu Jun 17 2010 - 06:37:55 EST

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:40:59AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > > I am comfortable with PROVE_RCU being incompatible with non-GPL modules.
> > > After all, it is only a debugging option, not intended for production use.
> >
> > I agree completely. I just wanted to publish that fact because it seems
> > to be little known and can be quite a puzzler.
>
> And I do very much appreciate your publicizing the solution! ;-)

Hi Paul,

(Sorry I didn't bring this up until now.)

I don't really have any sympathy for people who use that crud, but from
my POV it's going to generate some grief. Fedora builds rawhide with a
lot of debugging options enabled in order to try and hit issues early
before kernels release.

A few weeks ago, I noticed a report that PROVE_RCU was breaking some
non-GPL junk. Digging a bit further, I noticed quite a number of more
reports of this.

Is there any chances you could reconsider this? Otherwise I'll probably
disable the option in Fedora's debug kernels as well if I continue to
see confused users.

--Kyle