Makefile asking for mrproper on new checkout with KBUILD_OUTPUT

From: Boaz Harrosh
Date: Wed Jun 16 2010 - 18:05:46 EST

I get this problem: When a few Header files are changed, like when doing
a git checkout the Makefile is complaining about mrproper needed.

Now I'm building a:
make ARCH=arch KBUILD_OUTPUT=.build_arch/

But a:
make ARCH=arch KBUILD_OUTPUT=.build_arch/ mrproper

Will not help. What the Makefile wants is a:
make mrproper

doing the "make mrproper" does solves it.
It used to be fine, I'm not sure when it started to break.

How can I debug this to see what is the offending files?

Thanks
Boaz