Re: No mixers on ATI RS780 Azalia

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed May 26 2010 - 08:10:31 EST

At Wed, 26 May 2010 14:04:27 +0200 (CEST),
Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have here a Samsung 320MXn2 monitor/mainboard (typical x86_64
> environment) where I cannot get sound output to the internal speakers
> working.
>
> To start, there seem to be two sound cards:
>
> lspci/lspci -n:
> 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
> 01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
> 00:14.2 0403: 1002:4383
> 01:05.1 0403: 1002:960f
>
> /proc/asound/cards:
> 0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
> HDA ATI SB at 0xf0500000 irq 16
> 1 [HDMI]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
> HDA ATI HDMI at 0xf0110000 irq 19
>
> The soundcard responsible for the internal speaker is the 01:05.1/"HDMI"
> one.

Hmm? HDMI output as the "internal" speaker is abnormal.

> Under Windows XP, I see the following mixer elements for it:
>
> * Master Volume
> * Wave
> * SW Synth
> * CD Player
>
> Subsequently, there is sound (once I bump the volumes on these).

There are definitely for the onboard sound, not for HDMI.

> However, in Linux up to including 2.6.34, I only see a single mixer
> element:
>
> * IEC958/S/PDIF

That's correct for HDMI. HDMI has no volume control - it's a digital
output.

> mplayer etc. all successfully write to the device, but since there are
> not any further mixer controls, I can't unmute the essential channels.
>
> alsa-utils is version 1.0.21, from openSUSE 11.2 x86_64.

Judging from your description, the problem is likely that the onboard
sound device isn't set up properly but only HDMI one. Please give
alsa-info.sh output running on your system (run with --no-upload
option) for further analysis.

Takashi