Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Anthony Liguori
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 15:33:54 EST

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 02:15:35PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 03/22/2010 12:55 PM, Avi Kivity wrote:
Lets look at the ${HOME}/.qemu/qmp/ enumeration method suggested by
Anthony.
There's numerous ways that this can break:
I don't like it either. We have libvirt for enumerating guests.
We're stuck in a rut with libvirt and I think a lot of the
dissatisfaction with qemu is rooted in that. It's not libvirt that's
the probably, but the relationship between qemu and libvirt.

We add a feature to qemu and maybe after six month it gets exposed by
libvirt. Release time lines of the two projects complicate the
situation further. People that write GUIs are limited by libvirt
because that's what they're told to use and when they need something
simple, they're presented with first getting that feature implemented in
qemu, then plumbed through libvirt.
That is somewhat unfair as a blanket statement!

Sorry, you're certainly correct. Some features appear quickly, but others can take an awfully long time.

It wouldn't be so bad if libvirt was basically a passthrough interface
to qemu but it tries to model everything in a generic way which is more
or less doomed to fail when you're adding lots of new features (as we are).

The list of things that libvirt doesn't support and won't any time soon
is staggering.
As previously discussed, we want to improve both the set of features
supported, and make it much easier to support new features promptly.
The QMP& qdev stuff has been a very good step forward in making it
easier to support QEMU management. There have been a proposals from
several people, yourself included, on how to improve libvirt's support
for the full range of QEMU features. We're committed to looking at this
and figuring out which proposals are practical to support, so we can
improve QEMU& libvirt interaction for everyone.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,
Daniel