Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 14:07:01 EST

On 03/22/2010 06:40 PM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Avi Kivity<avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You simply kept ignoring me when I said that if something can be kept out
of the kernel without impacting performance, it should be. I don't want
emergency patches closing some security hole or oops in a kernel symbol
server.
Or rather, explained how I am a wicked microkernelist. The herring were out
in force today.
Well, if it's not being a "wicked microkernelist" then what is it?

I know I'm bad.

Performance is hardly the only motivation to put things into the
kernel. Think kernel mode-setting and devtmpfs (with the ironic twist
of original devfs being removed from the kernel) here, for example.

Motivations include privileged device access, needing to access physical memory, security, and keeping the userspace interface sane. There are others. I don't think any of them hold here.