Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 14:02:23 EST

On 03/22/2010 07:43 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

It's kinda funny to see people argue that having an external repository is
not a problem and that it's not a big deal if building something from the
repository is slightly painful as long as it doesn't require a PhD when we
have _real world_ experience that it _does_ limit developer base in some
cases. Whether or not that applies to kvm remains to be seen but I've yet to
see a convincing argument why it doesn't.
Yeah.

Also, if in fact the claim that the 'repository does not matter' is true then
it doesnt matter that it's hosted in tools/kvm/ either, right?

Again, the second it's moved to tools/kvm/ we strip it off anything that kvm can't use.

I.e. it's a win-win situation. Worst-case nothing happens beyond a Git URI
change. Best-case the project is propelled to never seen heights due to
contribution advantages not contemplated and not experienced by the KVM guys
before ...

You're exaggerating. There were 773 commits into qemu.git (excluding qemu-kvm.git) in the past three months. 162 for the same period for tools/perf. The pool is not that deep.