Re: [patch v2] cx231xx: card->driver "Conexant cx231xx Audio" too long

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 12:05:07 EST

At Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:43:47 -0700,
Joe Perches wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 18:39 +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > card->driver is 15 characters and a NULL, the original code could
> > cause a buffer overflow.
>
> > In version 2, I used a better name that Takashi Iwai suggested.
>
> Perhaps it's better to use strncpy as well.

strlcpy() would be safer :)

But, in such a case, we want rather that the error is notified at
build time.

Maybe a macro like below would be helpful to catch such bugs?

#define COPY_STRING(buf, src) \
do { \
if (__builtin_constant_p(src)) \
BUILD_BUG_ON(strlen(src) >= sizeof(buf)); \
strcpy(buf, src); \
} while (0)

and used like:

struct foo {