Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Lukas Kolbe
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 08:55:33 EST

Am Montag, den 22.03.2010, 12:23 +0100 schrieb Alexander Graf:

> >> I think we agree at last. Neither I nor my employer are interested in
> >> running qemu as a desktop-on-desktop tool, therefore I don't invest any
> >> effort in that direction, or require it from volunteers.
> >
> > Obviously your employer at least in part defers to you when it comes to KVM
> > priorities.
> >
> > So, just to make this really clear, _you_ are not interested in running qemu
> > as a desktop-on-desktop tool, subsequently this kind of
> > disinterest-for-desktop-usability trickled through the whole KVM stack and
> > poisoned your attitude and your contributor's attitude.
> >
> > Too sad really and it's doubly sad that you dont feel anything wrong about
> > that.
>
> Please, don't jump to unjust conclusions.
>
> The whole point is that there's no money behind desktop-on-desktop
> virtualization. Thus nobody pays people to work on it. Thus nothing
> significant happens in that space.
>
> If there was someone standing up to create a really decent desktop
> qemu front-end I'm confident we'd even officially suggest using that.
> In fact, that whole discussion did come up in the weekly Qemu/KVM
> community call and everybody agreed heavily that we do need a desktop
> client.
>
> The problem is just that there is nobody standing up. And I hope you
> don't expect Avi to be the one creating a GUI.

Besides, Ingo could just go ahead and use libvirt together with
virt-manager. It solves a few of the usability issues he came up with
somewhere in this thread, is available even in every current
distribution, and *actually* works quite well for the desktop usecase.
It just desparatly needs more brainpower and manpower to make it a
competitor to VirtualBox & Co, because its not as polished and
featurecomplete yet. But I bet virt-managers maintainers welcome patches
to fix and enhance usability. Most of the needed fixes probably wouldn't
touch qemu at all, let alone kvm.

Sorry to chime in with my opinion, but this whole thread is incredibly
boring and full of non-arguments yet really highly amusing.

--
Lukas