Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 07:59:41 EST

* Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/21/2010 04:54 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >* Avi Kivity<avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>That would be shooting at my own foot as well as the contributor's since I
> >>badly want that RCU stuff, and while a GUI would be nice, that itch isn't on
> >>my back.
> >I think this sums up the root cause of all the problems i see with KVM pretty
> >well.
>
> A good maintainer has to strike a balance between asking more of people than
> what they initially volunteer and getting people to implement the less fun
> things that are nonetheless required. [...]

Sorry to be blunt, but i dont think there's a different way to say it: i am a
user of the software you are maintaining (Qemu) and i dont think you have the
basis to educate people about what a good maintainer should do to achieve a
quality end result.

I think you could/should learn much from Linus and others who very much
require quality to permeate the full dimension of a contribution (including
usability), beyond the narrow, local scope of the contribution.

Thanks,

Ingo