Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Mar 21 2010 - 17:42:56 EST

On 03/21/2010 10:55 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

Of course you could say the following:

' Thanks, I'll mark this for v2.6.36 integration. Note that we are not
able to add this to the v2.6.35 kernel queue anymore as the ongoing
usability work already takes up all of the project's maintainer and
testing bandwidth. If you want the feature to be merged sooner than that
then please help us cut down on the TODO and BUGS list that can be found
at XYZ. There's quite a few low hanging fruits there. '

That would be shooting at my own foot as well as the contributor's since I badly want that RCU stuff, and while a GUI would be nice, that itch isn't on my back.

You're asking a developer and a maintainer to put off the work they're interested in, in order to work on something someone else is interested in, but not contributing the work.

Although this RCU example is 'worst' possible example, as it's a pure speedup
change with no functionality effect.

Consider the _other_ examples that are a lot more clear:

' If you expose paravirt spilocks via KVM please also make sure the KVM
tooling can make use of it, has an option for it to configure it, and
that it has sufficient efficiency statistics displayed in the tool for
admins to monitor.'

' If you create this new paravirt driver then please also make sure it can
be configured in the tooling. '

' Please also add a testcase for this bug to tools/kvm/testcases/ so we dont
repeat this same mistake in the future. '

All three happen quite commonly in qemu/kvm development. Of course someone who develops a feature also develops a patch that exposes it in qemu. There are several test cases in qemu-kvm.git/kvm/user/test.

I'd say most of the high-level feature work in KVM has tooling impact.

Usually, pretty low. Plumbing down a feature is usually trivial. There are exceptions, of course - smp is only supported in qemu-kvm.git, not in upstream qemu.git, for example. In any case of course the work is done in both qemu and kvm - do you think people develop features to see them bitrot?

And note the important arguement that the 'eject button' thing would not occur
naturally in a project that is well designed and has a good quality balance.
It would only occur in the transitionary period if a big lump of lower-quality
code is unified with higher-quality code. Then indeed a lot of pressure gets
created on the people working on the high-quality portion to go over and fix
the low-quality portion.

It's a matter of priorities.

Which, btw., is an unconditonally good thing ...

But even an RCU speedup can be fairly linked/ordered to more pressing needs of
a project.

Pressing to whom?

Really, the unification of two tightly related pieces of code has numerous
clear advantages. Please give it some thought before rejecting it.

I'm not blind to the advantages. Dropping tcg would be the biggest of them by far (much more than moving the repository, IMO). But there are disadvantages as well.

Around two years ago I seriously considered forking qemu, at this time I do not think it is a good idea.