Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Mar 21 2010 - 17:04:18 EST

On 03/21/2010 10:31 PM, Antoine Martin wrote:
On 03/22/2010 03:24 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 03/21/2010 10:18 PM, Antoine Martin wrote:
That includes the guest kernel. If you can deploy a new kernel in the guest, presumably you can deploy a userspace package.

That's not always true.
The host admin can control the guest kernel via "kvm -kernel" easily enough, but he may or may not have access to the disk that is used in the guest. (think encrypted disks, service agreements, etc)

There is a matching -initrd argument that you can use to launch a daemon.
I thought this discussion was about making it easy to deploy... and generating a custom initrd isn't easy by any means, and it requires access to the guest filesystem (and its mkinitrd tools).

That's true. You need to run mkinitrd anyway, though, unless your guest is non-modular and non-lvm.

I believe that -kernel use will be rare, though. It's a lot easier to keep everything in one filesystem.
Well, for what it's worth, I rarely ever use anything else. My virtual disks are raw so I can loop mount them easily, and I can also switch my guest kernels from outside... without ever needing to mount those disks.

Curious, what do you use them for?

btw, if you build your kernel outside the guest, then you already have access to all its symbols, without needing anything further.