Re: [git pull] pull request for writable limits for 2.6.34-rc0

From: Alexey Dobriyan
Date: Sun Mar 21 2010 - 02:06:24 EST

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 12:20:58PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> >
> > please pull the writable limits tree below.

> As a result, I ended up looking at the writable limits only today.
>
> And I'm not entirely happy. For example, I absolutely _detest_ seeing new
> compat code for a feature that was just added. My immediate reaction is
> "WTF? What kind of moron doesn't make things 64-bit safe to begin with?".
> It's really annoying.
>
> Why doesn't the new set/getprlimit things just take a pointer to a
> well-defined pair of 64-bit values? Why is there any compat cruft at all
> there? That is beyond insane. Just make the user level interface work
> right in the first place, instead of adding crazy compat crap. This is
> _not_ a legacy interface.

It's a perfect opportunity to introduce getrlimit64(2), setrlimit64(2)
_without_ involving /proc, without all bugs in setrlimit(2), without
compat code, with all resources equal across arches, and, optionally,
with infinity setting clearly separate from value (useful for C/R).

Pity, we will have config option for 64-bit internal rlimits.

Alexey, who detests /proc/self/limits format