Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

From: Paul Mundt
Date: Fri Mar 19 2010 - 05:20:18 EST

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:11:43AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 03/18/2010 10:17 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >* Anthony Liguori<anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>We have to maintain a dirty bitmap because we don't have a paravirtual
> >>graphics driver. IOW, someone needs to write an Xorg driver.
> >>
> >>Ideally, we could just implement a Linux framebuffer device, right?
> >>
> >No, you'd want to interact with DRM.
>
> Using DRM doesn't help very much. You still need an X driver and most
> of the operations you care about (video rendering, window movement, etc)
> are not operations that need to go through DRM.
>
> 3D graphics virtualization is extremely difficult in the non-passthrough
> case. It really requires hardware support that isn't widely available
> today (outside a few NVIDIA chipsets).

Implementing a virtualized DRM/KMS driver would at least get you the
framebuffer interface more or less for free, while allowing you to deal
with the userspace side of things incrementally (ie, running a dummy xorg
on top of the virtualized fbdev until the DRI side catches up). It would
also enable you to focus on the 2D and 3D parts independently.

> It doesn't provide the things we need to a good user experience. You
> need things like an absolute input device, host driven display resize,
> RGBA hardware cursors. None of these go through DRI and it's those
> things that really provide the graphics user experience.

None of these things negate the benefit one would get from a virtualized
DRM/KMS driver either. There are multiple problems that need solving in
this area, and it's a bit disingenuous to discount a valid suggestion out
of hand due to the fact it doesn't solve all of the outstanding issues.