Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 14:20:59 EST

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:32:51PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> By "serious developer" I mean
>
> - someone who is interested in contributing, not in getting their name
> into the kernel commits list
> - someone who is willing to read the wiki page and find out where the
> repository and mailing list for a project is
> - someone who will spend enough time on the project so that the time to
> clone two repositories will not be a factor in their contributions

I'm not going to argue about the Qemu merging here.
But your above assessment is incomplete.

It is not because developers don't want to clone two different
trees that tools/perf is a success. Or may be it's a factor but
I suspect it to be very minimal. I can script git commands if
needed. It is actually because both kernel and user side are
sync in this scheme.

> Let's wait and see then. If the tools/perf/ experience has really good
> results, we can reconsider this at a later date.

I think it has already really good results.