Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Alexander Graf
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 08:00:25 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>> Still it's _very_ useful to have a single reference implementation under
>>> tools/perf/ where we concentrate the best of the code. That is where we
>>> make sure that each new kernel feature is appropriately implemented in
>>> user-space as well, that the combination works well together and is
>>> releasable to users. That is what keeps us all honest: the latency of
>>> features is much lower, and there's no ping-pong of blame going on between
>>> the two components in case of bugs or in case of misfeatures.
>>>
>> That would make sense for a truly minimal userspace for kvm: we once had a
>> tool called kvmctl which was used to run tests (since folded into qemu). It
>> didn't contain a GUI and was unable to run a general purpose guest. It was
>> a few hundred lines of code, and indeed patches to kvmctl had a much closer
>> correspondence to patches with kvm (though still low, as most kvm patches
>> don't modify the ABI).
>>

> If it's functional to the extent of at least allowing say a serial console via
> the console (like the UML binary allows) i'd expect the minimal user-space to
> quickly grow out of this minimal state. The rest will be history.
>
> Maybe this is a better, simpler (and much cleaner and less controversial)
> approach than moving a 'full' copy of qemu there.
>
> There's certainly no risk: if qemu stays dominant then nothing is lost
> [tools/kvm/ can be removed after some time], and if this clean base works out
> fine then the useful qemu technologies will move over to it gradually and
> without much fuss, and the developers will move with it as well.
>
> If it's just a token effort with near zero utility to begin with it certainly
> wont take off.
>
> Once it's there in tools/kvm/ and bootable i'd certainly hack up some quick
> xlib based VGA output capability myself - it's not that hard ;-) It would also
> allow me to test whether latest-KVM still boots fine in a much simpler way.
> (most of my testboxes dont have qemu installed)
>
> So you have one user signed up for that already ;-)

Alright, you just volunteered. Just give it a go and try to implement
the "oh so simple" KVM frontend while maintaining compatibility with at
least a few older Linux guests. My guess is that you'll realize it's a
dead end before committing anything to the kernel source tree. But
really, just try it out.

Good Luck

Alex