Re: kfifo: possible weird violation of what should be invariant

From: Robert P. J. Day
Date: Wed Mar 17 2010 - 07:24:38 EST

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Roland Dreier wrote:

> > sure, the code seems to work, but allowing the internal values of a
> > kfifo to contain invalid values on a regular basis would seem to make
> > a mess of, say, tracing or debugging. making sure that offset values
> > actually lie within their valid range would seem to be one of those
> > ASSERT() things that should always be true, should it not? is there a
> > reason the design is like this?
>
> Actually I believe having the values be free-running without
> clamping them makes the code much simpler -- the reason being that
> you preserve the invariant of "in" always being ahead of "out". If
> you reduce the pointers modulo the size, then you end up having a
> lot of code that has two cases: one to handle "in > out", and one to
> handle "in < out because in has wrapped and out hasn't yet".

yes, i see your point. so, as i read it, the internal kfifo "in"
and "out" pointers are *never* actually normalized modulo the buffer
size, which means that, at any time, you can easily check how much
*total* data has gone through the kfifo. potentially useful. perhaps
there should be a comment or note to that effect stuffed in there
somewhere as some kernel programmers might find that handy, who knows?

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday