Re: Poor interactive performance with I/O loads with fsync()ing

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Mar 17 2010 - 05:37:39 EST

* Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 08:31:12AM -0700, Ben Gamari wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Recently I started using the Xapian-based notmuch mail client for everyday
> > use. One of the things I was quite surprised by after the switch was the
> > incredible hit in interactive performance that is observed during database
> > updates. Things are particularly bad during runs of 'notmuch new,' which scans
> > the file system looking for new messages and adds them to the database.
> > Specifically, the worst of the performance hit appears to occur when the
> > database is being updated.
> >
> > During these periods, even small chunks of I/O can become minute-long ordeals.
> > It is common for latencytop to show 30 second long latencies for page faults
> > and writing pages. Interactive performance is absolutely abysmal, with other
> > unrelated processes feeling horrible latencies, causing media players,
> > editors, and even terminals to grind to a halt.
> >
> > Despite the system being clearly I/O bound, iostat shows pitiful disk
> > throughput (700kByte/second read, 300 kByte/second write). Certainly this poor
> > performance can, at least to some degree, be attributable to the fact that
> > Xapian uses fdatasync() to ensure data consistency. That being said, it seems
> > like Xapian's page usage causes horrible thrashing, hence the performance hit
> > on unrelated processes.
>
> Where are the unrelated processes waiting? Can you get a sample of several
> backtraces? (/proc/<pid>/stack should do it)

A call-graph profile will show the precise reason for IO latencies, and their
relatively likelihood.

It's really simple to do it with a recent kernel. Firstly, enable
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IO_TRACE=y, CONFIG_EVENT_PROFILE=y:

Kernel performance events and counters (PERF_EVENTS) [Y/?] y
Tracepoint profiling sources (EVENT_PROFILE) [Y/n/?] y
Support for tracing block IO actions (BLK_DEV_IO_TRACE) [N/y/?] y

(boot into this kernel)

Then build perf via:

cd tools/perf/
make -j install

and then capture 10 seconds of the DB workload:

perf record -f -g -a -e block:block_rq_issue -c 1 sleep 10

[ perf record: Woken up 1 times to write data ]
[ perf record: Captured and wrote 0.251 MB perf.data (~10977 samples) ]

and look at the call-graph output:

perf report

# Samples: 5
#
# Overhead Command Shared Object Symbol
# ........ ............... ................. ......
#
80.00% kjournald [kernel.kallsyms] [k] perf_trace_block_rq_issue

--- perf_trace_block_rq_issue
scsi_request_fn

|--50.00%-- __blk_run_queue
| cfq_insert_request
| elv_insert
| __elv_add_request
| __make_request
| generic_make_request
| submit_bio
| submit_bh
| sync_dirty_buffer
| journal_commit_transaction
| kjournald
| kthread
| kernel_thread_helper

--50.00%-- __generic_unplug_device
generic_unplug_device
blk_unplug
blk_backing_dev_unplug
sync_buffer
__wait_on_bit
out_of_line_wait_on_bit
__wait_on_buffer
wait_on_buffer
journal_commit_transaction
kjournald
kthread
kernel_thread_helper

20.00% as [kernel.kallsyms] [k] perf_trace_block_rq_issue

--- perf_trace_block_rq_issue
scsi_request_fn
__generic_unplug_device
generic_unplug_device
blk_unplug
blk_backing_dev_unplug
page_cache_async_readahead
generic_file_aio_read
do_sync_read
vfs_read
sys_read
system_call_fastpath
0x39f8ad4930

This (very simple) example had 80% of the IO in kjournald and 20% of it in
'as'. The precise call-paths of IO issues are visible.

For general scheduler context-switch events you can use:

perf record -f -g -a -e context-switches -c 1 sleep 10

see 'perf list' for all events.

Thanks,

Ingo