Re: Will's kernel compilation error

From: Michael Cree
Date: Wed Mar 17 2010 - 03:34:17 EST

On 17/03/10 08:34, Raúl Porcel wrote:
Have one.

My error is as follows:

net/built-in.o: In function `svc_auth_unregister':
(.text+0xb822c): relocation truncated to fit: GPREL16 against `.sbss'

Right, I've confirmed that with the supplied config. What's happening is that the small data area (where certain static data are stored) has exceeded 64kB which is the limit under the small data model. As noted elsewhere on this thread it can be solved by compiling with the large data model, but that incurs extra CPU instructions whenever the data area is accessed.

A better solution, in my view, is to concert some drivers to modules. I note that the config has a large number of devices to be built (some of which are denoted as having been tested on x86/x86_64/ia64 only). I converted a few drivers, and most of the selected filesystems (do you really need them all at boot time?) into modules. The kernel then builds correctly.

But if people insist on being able to build impractical monolithic kernels on Alpha I will post my patch to add a kernel option for the large data model.

Cheers
Michael.