RE: Will's kernel compilation error

From: Will L Givens
Date: Tue Mar 16 2010 - 18:42:37 EST

> The patch is not suitable, IMHO, for the kernel as it stands. Some of
> us prefer the small-data model as we must boot off a slow medium that
> is supported by SRM. Using large-data results in a larger code size.
>
> It would be nice if the build system could detect the need for the
> large-data model before compilation but I can't see how to do that
> without actually compiling the kernel.
>
> Therefore I suggest a kernel config item be added to optionally remove
> the -msmall-data compiler option for those who are building kernels
> with data areas greater than 64kB. I'll drum up a patch later today.
>
> Cheers
> Michael.

Actually I added several modules into the kernel (raid0/1, router protocols,
and subsystem for TV cards)and it was about 100KB smaller. If push came to
shove, you could simply strip the symbols from the kernel (strip -s vmlinux)
and modules and use gzip -9 (done it in the past and it works fine). Another
thing, how could 2MB make that big of a different on boot time? I used to
use an old 50MB AT drive on my UP2000 (OS installed to 2 IDE drives via a
non-bootable Promise card)and it read at 1MB/s. So, at worst, you're talking
about maybe a 1 to 2 second difference?

Just tested it on my currently modules, went from 35MB to 19MB... not too
shabby.