Re: Regression? 2.6.23.16 -> 2.6.32.9: ide/libata HD recognition

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Mar 10 2010 - 13:48:08 EST

CaT wrote:
Hi,

Just had a strange situation with the above upgrade. It was done on an
old server that used the serverworks ide driver. The IDE hw config under
2.6.23.16 was:

hda: HD
hdb: CDROM
hdc: empty
hdd: HD

After upgrade, using either IDE or libata the config changed to:

hda: HD
hdb: CDROM
hdc: empty
hdd: empty

The BIOS recognised the disk. I went through 3 disks and it wasn't until
I made the second HD a master that it was recognised. So now I have a
2.6.32.9 server, using the IDE subsystem with the following config:

hda: HD
hdb: CDROM
hdc: HD
hdd: empty

Otherwise it does not work.

I had an outage window that I already blew so I was not able to do
any more diagnosis than what it took to get the system up.

If anyone wants the full config I'll send. Otherwise:

Could you "ls /sys/block" and post? And /var/log/messages from the start to the last device found? Thanks.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>