Re: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Tue Mar 09 2010 - 19:06:23 EST

Hello,

On 03/10/2010 07:46 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> As far as partitioning... I believe we should be using GPT partition tables
>> where possible. Even on non-EFI systems, it's simply a much better
>> partition table format.
>
> GPT can not be used for boot disks in non-EFI systems, right?

IIUC, I think any BIOS should be able to do so as it only cares about
the code part of MBR not the partitions and even with GPT the MBR
remains the same with the partition part describing the rest of the
while disk as a single chunk containing GPT managed area. The only
problem is the older operating systems (like XP) which don't
understand GPT wouldn't be able to access those partitions.

Thanks.

--
tejun