Re: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Mar 09 2010 - 18:46:41 EST

On Monday 08 March 2010 04:48:35 Tejun Heo wrote:
> Unfortunately, while Windows can assume that newer releases won't
> share the hard drive with older releases including Windows XP, Linux
> distros can't do that. There will be many installations where a
> modern Linux distros share a hard drive with older releases of
> Windows. At this point, I can't see a silver bullet solution.
>
> Partitioners maybe should only align partitions which will be used by
> Linux and default to the traditional layout for others while allowing
> explicit override. I think Windows XP wouldn't have problem with
> differently aligned partitions as long as it doesn't actually use them
> but haven't tested it.

Any idea if XP can cope with partition tables that use a 32-sector, 128-head
geometry rather than the default 63-sector, 255-head one? That seems to
be what some flash memory cards are using and it would make any cylinder
aligned partition also 4096-byte aligned, at the cost of moving the
1024-cylinder boundary from 7.88 GiB to 2 GiB.

Do we know of anything that requires 63s/255h?

Arnd