Re: [BUG?] hid-core.c: hid->name = dev->manufacturer + dev->product... why not + dev->serial?

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Tue Mar 09 2010 - 13:41:43 EST

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 01:42:20PM +0100, Melchior FRANZ wrote:

> > Nevertheless serials are exported in sysfs ('uniq' attribute). Also udev
> > can give persistent names device nodes based on physocal connection,
> > serial numbers, etc.
>
> It's not much fun to use all sorts of additional Linux specific interfaces,
> because the responsible one doesn't do its job.

Have you considered the fact that maybe you not using the
right interface? The legacy joystick interface (with all its warts like
"replaying" the button state, in-kernel scaling and defuzzing, etc.) is
not what I would think a good general-purpose data acquisition
interface.

FWIW evdev does provide access to serial numbers (EVIOCGUNIQ) but even
that in my opinion is not the proper interface, for the reasons I
mentioned in my previous email.

You need to work with guys at linux-iio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (which stands
for Industrial I/O which is exactly what you are working with).

--
Dmitry