Re: Upstream first policy

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Mar 08 2010 - 22:59:52 EST

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Casey Schaufler wrote:

> Those of you who say we ought to come up with a single framework
> that we can use to Do The Right Thing haven't been reading the code.
> We have such a framework in the LSM.

.. and people are also interested in using (and expanding) the 'notify'
layer, probably because it is obviously designed for efficiently talking
at a user-level program about the relevant accesses. Whether that is
because they are just crazy ("malware detection") or whether it is an
indication that the LSM layer and current security models are just not
convenient enough, I dunno.

And whether all that has anything to do with "Do The Rigth Thing" is
obviously very much unclear, but the interest is clearly there.

Linus