Re: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Mar 08 2010 - 15:14:17 EST

On 03/08/2010 07:18 AM, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

> I'm Cc:'ing Karel Zak and Jim Meyering who have been doing all the
> alignment work for fdisk and parted respectively. Karel, Jim: The full
> writeup is here:
>
> http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_4_KiB_sector_issues
>
> It'd be great if you guys could share what you have been doing to the
> tooling.

Please correct the following bit in C-3:

"A different partition format - GPT[6] - should be used beyond 2^32
sectors, which could harm compatibility with older BIOSs or other
operating systems which don't recognize the new format."

BIOS does not care about the partition table format. There might be
issues with > 2^32 sectors for BIOSes (e.g. truncating sector counts),
but that would be unrelated.

-hpa