Re: Upstream first policy

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Mar 08 2010 - 14:19:38 EST

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Alan Cox wrote:

> Quite untrue. I've actually *used* path based security systems (DEC10
> ACLs) and for almost every case its brain-dead.
>
> Imagine a world where this happened

Alan, stop right there.

You're making the same silly and incorrect mistake that Al did.

Namely thinking that you have to have just one or the other.

When you say "your /etc/passwd example is a special case", you are
admitting that there are two different cases, but then after that, you
still don't see the whole point I'm trying to make.

Let me try again:

THERE ARE DIFFERENT CASES

That's the point. Just admit that, and then let the calm of "Ooh, there
are different kinds of circumstances that may want different kinds of
rules" permeate you.

My whole (and only) argument is against the "only one way is correct"
mentality.

Linus