Re: [regression] cpuset,mm: update tasks' mems_allowed in time (58568d2)

From: Miao Xie
Date: Tue Feb 23 2010 - 03:26:15 EST

on 2010-2-23 6:00, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>> If you have a concurrent reader without any synchronisation, then what
>> stops it from loading a word of the mask before stores to add the new
>> nodes and then loading another word of the mask after the stores to
>> remove the old nodes? (which can give an empty mask).
>>

> Currently nothing, so we'll need a variant for configurations where the
> size of nodemask_t is larger than we can atomically store.

Sorry, Could you explain what you advised?
I think it is hard to fix this problem by adding a variant, because it is
hard to avoid loading a word of the mask before

nodes_or(tsk->mems_allowed, tsk->mems_allowed, *newmems);

and then loading another word of the mask after

tsk->mems_allowed = *newmems;

unless we use lock.

Maybe we need a rw-lock to protect task->mems_allowed.