Re: Performance regression in scsi sequential throughput (iozone)due to "e084b - page-allocator: preserve PFN ordering when __GFP_COLD isset"

From: Christian Ehrhardt
Date: Mon Feb 22 2010 - 10:43:14 EST

Mel Gorman wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately even now knowing the place of the issue so well I don't see
the connection to the commits e084b+5f8dcc21

Still a mystery.

- I couldn't find something but
did they change the accounting somewhere or e.g. changed the timing/order
of watermark updates and allocations?

Not that I can think of.

Eventually it might come down to a discussion of allocation priorities and
we might even keep them as is and accept this issue - I still would prefer
a good second chance implementation, other page cache allocation flags or
something else that explicitly solves this issue.

In that line, the patch that replaced congestion_wait() with a waitqueue
makes some sense.

[...]

I'll need to do a number of tests before I can move that upstream but I
don't think it's a merge candidate. Unfortunately, I'll be offline for a
week starting tomorrow so I won't be able to do the testing.

When I get back, I'll revisit those patches with the view to pushing
them upstream. I hate to treat symptoms here without knowing the
underlying problem but this has been spinning in circles for ages with
little forward progress :(

I'll continue with some debugging in search for the real reasons, but if I can't find a new way to look at it I think we have to drop it for now.

While I hate fixing symptoms too, I completely agree that it is time to bring this fix upstream and in fact into the stable kernel too, to have at least a ~98% workaround out there.

I'm looking forward for your revised patch after you are back and I'm eager to test this one again.

--

Grüsse / regards, Christian Ehrhardt
IBM Linux Technology Center, System z Linux Performance