Re: Kernel Bug in ATA or SMART area

From: Axel Uhl
Date: Sat Feb 20 2010 - 17:50:45 EST

I now disabled CONFIG_IDE. pata_via now takes over the IDE disks. Changes in /etc/fstab were necessary because /dev/hd[abcd] now became /dev/sd[cdef]. Everything else seems to work normally for now. I'll check if this also makes the exception go away altogether.

Thanks again and best regards,
-- Axel

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
(Please don't top-post on Linux mailing lists.)

Because you wrote:

> > > I also enabled > > > pata_via but was unsure which IDE driver to disable.

and pata_via is libata's replacement for IDE's via82cxx.

Since you kept both drivers enabled, it seems that IDE's via82cxx won the
race to claim the hardware. Bummer.

Just disable CONFIG_IDE.

--
Find Security Certificate at http://www.axel-uhl.de/cgi-bin/cacert.cgi