Re: Firmware versioning best practices II

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Sat Feb 20 2010 - 06:00:51 EST

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 10:35 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> That doesn't prevent some people from using foo-$APIVER-$CODEVER if
> they really have to, of course -- if they have firmware which can be
> conditionally compiled for both old and new APIs, for example. But I
> don't think it should be recommended.

That doesn't make much sense anyway. If the firmware filename is
foo-$APIVER-$CODEVER every code change would need a corresponding driver
change. If it is just foo-$APIVER then the $CODEVER can be embedded in
the firmware file and printed so you know which code you're using, but
if it doesn't influence the API I don't see why it should be part of the
filename?

johannes