Re: Kernel panic due to page migration accessing memory holes

From: Michael Bohan
Date: Thu Feb 18 2010 - 20:47:33 EST

On 2/18/2010 2:04 AM, Mel Gorman wrote:
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 06:36:04PM +0900, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
[Fact]
- There are 2 banks of memory and a memory hole on your machine.
As
0x00200000 - 0x07D00000
0x40000000 - 0x43000000

- Each bancks are in the same zone.
- You use FLATMEM.
- You see panic in move_freepages().
- Your host's MAX_ORDER=11....buddy allocator's alignment is 0x400000
Then, it seems 1st bank is not algined.
It's not and assumptions are made about it being aligned.

Would it be prudent to have the ARM mm init code detect unaligned, discontiguous banks and print a warning message if CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_HOLES_MEMORYMODEL is not configured? Should we take it a step further and even BUG()?

ARM frees unused portions of memmap to save memory. It's why memmap_valid_within()
exists when CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_HOLES_MEMORYMODEL although previously only
reading /proc/pagetypeinfo cared.

In that case, the FLATMEM memory map had unexpected holes which "never"
happens and that was the workaround. The problem here is that there are
unaligned zones but no pfn_valid() implementation that can identify
them as you'd have with SPARSEMEM. My expectation is that you are using
the pfn_valid() implementation from asm-generic

#define pfn_valid(pfn) ((pfn)< max_mapnr)

which is insufficient in your case.

I am actually using the pfn_valid implementation FLATMEM in arch/arm/include/asm/memory.h. This one is very similar to the asm-generic, and has no knowledge of the holes.

I think it's more likely the at the memmap he is accessing has been
freed and is effectively random data.

I also think this is the case.

SPARSEMEM would give you an implementation of pfn_valid() that you could
use here. The choices that spring to mind are;

1. reduce MAX_ORDER so they are aligned (easiest)

Is it safe to assume that reducing MAX_ORDER will hurt performance?

2. use SPARSEMEM (easy, but not necessary what you want to do, might
waste memory unless you drop MAX_ORDER as well)

We intend to use SPARSEMEM, but we'd also like to maintain FLATMEM compatibility for some configurations. My guess is that there are other ARM users that may want this support as well.

3. implement a pfn_valid() that can handle the holes and set
CONFIG_HOLES_IN_ZONE so it's called in move_freepages() to
deal with the holes (should pass this by someone more familiar
with ARM than I)

This option seems the best to me. We should be able to implement an ARM specific pfn_valid() that walks the ARM meminfo struct to ensure the pfn is not within a hole.

My only concern with this is a comment in __rmqueue_fallback() after calling move_freepages_block() that states "Claim the whole block if over half of it is free". Suppose only 1 MB is beyond the bank limit. That means that over half of the pages of the 4 MB block will be reported by move_freepages() as free -- but 1 MB of those pages are invalid. Won't this cause problems if these pages are assumed to be part of an active block?

It seems like we should have an additional check in move_freepages_block() with pfn_valid_within() to check the last page in the block (eg. end_pfn) before calling move_freepages_block(). If the last page is not valid, then we shouldn't we return 0 as in the zone span check? This will also skip the extra burden of checking each individual page, when we already know the proposed range is invalid.

Assuming we did return 0 in this case, would that sub-block of pages ever be usable for anything else, or would it be effectively wasted? If this memory were wasted, then adjusting MAX_ORDER would have an advantage in this sense -- ignoring any performance implications.

Thanks,
Michael