Re: [Cluster-devel] dlm: Remove/bypass astd

From: Christine Caulfield
Date: Thu Feb 18 2010 - 04:38:52 EST

On 17/02/10 20:29, David Teigland wrote:
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 01:23:39PM +0000, Steven Whitehouse wrote:

While investigating Red Hat bug #537010 I started looking at the dlm's astd
thread. The way in which the "cast" and "bast" requests are queued looked
as if it might cause reordering since the "bast" requests are always
delivered after any pending "cast" requests which is not always the
correct ordering. This patch doesn't fix that bug, but it will prevent any
races in that bit of code, and the performance benefits are also well
worth having.

I noticed that astd seems to be extraneous to requirements. The notifications
to astd are already running in process context, so they could be delivered
directly. That should improve smp performance since all the notifications
would no longer be funneled through a single thread.

Also, the only other function of astd seemed to be stopping the delivery
of these notifications during recovery. Since, however, the notifications
which are intercepted at recovery time are neither modified, nor filtered
in any way, the only effect is to delay notifications for no obvious reason.

I thought that probably removing the astd thread and delivering the "cast"
and "bast" notifications directly would improve performance due to the
elimination of a scheduling delay. I wrote a small test module which
creates a dlm lock space, and does 100,000 NL -> EX -> NL lock conversions.

Having run this test 10 times each on a 2.6.33-rc8 kernel and then the modified
kernel including this patch, I got the following results:

Original: Avg time 24.62 us per conversion (NL -> EX -> NL)
Modified: Avg time 9.93 us per conversion

Which is a fairly dramatic speed up. Please consider applying this patch.
I've tested it in both clustered and single node GFS2 configurations. The test
figures are from a single node configuration which was a deliberate choice
in order to avoid any effects of network latency.

Wow, there's no chance I'm going to even consider something like this.
This would be a huge change in how the dlm has always operated, and would
surely introduce very serious and hard to identify bugs (and ones that may
not appear for a long time afterward). Given that there's *no problem* with
the current method that has worked well for years, any change would be
completely crazy.

I think total dismissal of the idea is unreasonable. At least give it a chance, and test it for a while. Your argument is valid for not including it in a stable release as yet, but not for ignoring it completely.

Here we have a chance to remove some code, a kernel thread AND improve performance hugely. Just saying "it's always worked like that and we're not changing it" is the crazy argument IMHO.

Chrissie