Re: Linux mdadm superblock question.

From: david
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 16:18:09 EST

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, Nick Bowler wrote:

On 10:41 Wed 17 Feb , david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, Nick Bowler wrote:
It takes about half a second for mdadm to assemble my root array, is
that what you're referring to?

I assume that kernel auto-assembly is no faster, although I've never
used it. Regardless, half a second isn't very long to wait.

If you are aiming for a 5-second boot time it's 10% of your total boot
time. That's a lot for a feature that's not needed.

Only if the kernel auto-assembly takes zero time, which it obviously
does not.

the assembly time would probably be the same, but the initramfs being proposed did not include that time either.

David Lang