Re: Linux mdadm superblock question.

From: Mr. James W. Laferriere
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 20:04:10 EST

Hello Bill ,

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, you wrote:
In other words, 'auto-detection' for 1.x format devices is using an
initrd/initramfs.

which makes 1.x format useless for everybody who does not want to deal with initrd/initramfs.

You make this sound like some major big deal. are you running your own distribution? In most cases mkinitrd does the right thing when you "make install" the kernel, and if you are doing something in the build so complex that it needs options, you really should understand the options and be sure you're doing what you want.

Generally this involves preloading a module or two, and if you need it every time you probably should have built it in, anyway.

My opinion...
My Opinion as well . That is one of the many reasons why I have my '/' autoassemble . And do to this I am permanently stuck at 0.90 version of the raid table . No big shakes for that . But at sometime in the past there was a discussion to have the 0.90 raid table be removed , NOW THAT SCARES THE H?LL OUT OF ME . So far Neil has not done so .

I am unaware of any record from Neil or other maintainer(s) of the /md/ device tree saying that they will not remove the 0.90 table and the autoassembly functions there . I'd very much like to hear a statement saying there will not be a removal of the autoassembly functions for 0.90 raid table from the kernel tree .

Tia , JimL