Re: [patch -mm 4/9 v2] oom: remove compulsory panic_on_oom mode

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 18:55:09 EST

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> Please don't. I had a chance to talk with customer support team and talked
> about panic_on_oom briefly. I understood that panic_on_oom_alyways+kdump
> is the strongest tool for investigating customer's OOM situtation and do
> the best advice to them. panic_on_oom_always+kdump is the 100% information
> as snapshot when oom-killer happens. Then, it's easy to investigate and
> explain what is wront. They sometimes discover memory leak (by some prorietary
> driver) or miss-configuration of the system (as using unnecessary bounce buffer.)

Ok, I'm not looking to cause your customers unnecessary grief by removing
an option that they use, even though the same effect is possible by
setting all tasks to OOM_DISABLE. I'll remove this patch in the next
revision.

> Then, please leave panic_on_oom=always.
> Even with mempolicy or cpuset 's OOM, we need panic_on_oom=always option.
> And yes, I'll add something similar to memcg. freeze_at_oom or something.

Memcg isn't a special case here, it should also panic the machine if
panic_on_oom == 2, so if we aren't going to remove this option then I
agree with Nick that we need to panic from mem_cgroup_out_of_memory() as
well. Some users use cpusets, for example, for the same effect of memory
isolation as you use memcg, so panicking in one scenario and not the other
is inconsistent.