Re: [patch] mm: add comment about deprecation of __GFP_NOFAIL

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 02:04:04 EST

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> I hope no 3rd vendor (proprietary) driver uses __GFP_NOFAIL, they tend to
> believe API is trustable and unchanged.

I hope they don't use it with GFP_ATOMIC, either, because it's never been
respected in that context. We can easily audit the handful of cases in
the kernel that use __GFP_NOFAIL (it takes five minutes at the max) and
prove that none use it with GFP_ATOMIC or GFP_NOFS. We don't need to add
multitudes of warnings about using a deprecated flag with ludicrous
combinations (does anyone really expect GFP_ATOMIC | __GFP_NOFAIL to work
gracefully)?